The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Pay up! Pay up your income tax!

Recently got a temporary job in IRAS... which in layman terms, called income tax. I was to be a clerk in the filing compliance department. Basically, my job is to answer stressed-out taxpayers' calls and advice them how best to avoid paying a fine for filing their returns (aka income tax form) late. I also have to perform simple clerical work like printing income tax forms etc. etc.


*this is what you get when you don't pay tax. For those who watched wrestling long long time ago, the guy in the white shirt is called 'IRS' the hated taxman. Kamala got the worst from him when he defaulted on his tax payment!*


Of course, being the nice guy I am, I almost always got to waive their fine payments. So please please... do NOT shout at me, abuse me, demand to speak to my superior! Just speak clearly in a nice pleading tone and you will almost be guaranteed of not having to pay for anything hehehe!

The work environment in IRAS is pretty good. Many of the staff here are malays... in fact I think there are more malays than chinese around here. So no... there is nothing exciting to 'see' around here... all tudongs haha! There is a food court in the building itself... and surprise surprise... it is right on my floor! There is no problem for us sneaking out for a coffee when we got too tired haha! The food is pretty good and cheap in the food court also.

I think IRAS treat their staff pretty well... I don't know much about their pay... but they have a really good recreation centre! They have a dedicated floor (lvl 5) for recreation... they have a table tennis table, two pool tables, a small cafe, a very well equipped gym, and a big lounge with many sofas around! We are getting into a habit of eating our lunch quickly and proceeding to the fifth floor for a nap! However, the downside of me working here is that my pay sucks... and I have to work a five-and-a-half days week.

Finally, I guess this is a good place for us to stay while searching for REAL jobs. For me, I am very patiently waiting for EDB to settle my overseas attachment program (not too patient honestly!). I do hope that my brother, mr joo and mr vin can leave this place soon (i.e. find a better, permanent job). But I guess I will enjoy this few weeks of working as the taxman!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    well LJ, I have been there done that. Remember the food was pretty good but as I mentioned, we always went to the Novena Square to lunch. Do try that place. Best of luck for your overseas attachment. Meanwhile have a happy time in IRAS

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    ya I went Novena square's food court once but it is rather crowded... now my group of 4 friends are splitted into 4 different overlapping timeslots 1130-1200, 1200-1300, 1230-1330, 1300-1400, super horrible! =(

     
  • At 2:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    nono lingjie! I dun mean the foodcourt~ its the little cafe eatery on the second floor with great nasi bryani :)

     
  • At 1:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    haha! okok! i shall go there and explore one of these days heheh!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home