The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

We are Singapore... Singaporeans!

Just came back home from sending Yingying off at the Changi airport... she's flying to New York. Today, or rather yesterday (9th August) is actually Singapore's National Day. This is the day Singapore declared independence 40 years ago. Of course, many people do not think I am a patriotic kind of person... but I have to say that I do love my country although there will always be some complains here and there.

Didn't do much over the last two days also, I was still doing my tax job on monday. But I had a gruelling overnight session of majong on monday night... I had to sing some national day songs to keep myself awake haha... anyway with Mr Bao disturbing me... I did not feel too sleepy but.... I lost a lot of money.... (-_-"). Anyway it is always good to hang out with my Teck Whye gang friends... lots of crap talking and jokes as usual...

Tuesday I was resting for much of the day... but I had another majong session in the evening at X's house.

*mind u... this is X's humble abode!!*

Of course, the losing streak could not end (I don't think it is ever possible to win in X's house, not to say breaking a losing streak in his house!). Wendy was slightly more quiet today... but the level of crapiness is still up there... it was still pretty good despite me losing money haha! The music on X's mini-hifi was good also!






This is one pic I took before I rode my trusty old bike to X's house


Later in the evening, X, Wendy, Alvin and me went to Changi Village for our dinner before going to Changi Airport to send yingying off. The dinner was quite good, Alvin and me both ate char quay teow... X had some noodles which were recommended by makansutra... wendy only got some dessert. X treated us to a plate of bbq stingray (courtesy of money won from wendy and me!).. the stingray was good by the way... sob~

We met YY in the airport at half past ten... her mother, brother and his girlfriend came to send her off also. Didn't manage to take much photos... everyone was not too keen on it. Still I managed to get a photo with YY and a few more group photos!



Her mother was a bit sad that YY was leaving.. but overall the situation was more funny than sad... we were all smiling and joking =) Right before the departure gate, YY's mother hugged her and kissed her a few times on the cheek! YY was so paiseh about it but I think it was really a touching gesture~ really very very heartwarming~~ ... after more hugs with her brother and his girlfriend, she was on her way to USA!!! Hey girl... take care ok? We will meet in USA again! (I hope!)



I will end with the lyrics of a national day song as a celebration! Happy birthday to Singapore! And bon voyage to YY!

We Are Singapore

There was a time when people said
That Singapore won't make it
But we did
There was a time when troubles
Seemed too much for us to take
But we did
We built a nation
Strong and free
Reaching out together
For peace and harmony


This is my country
This is my flag, this is my future
This is my life, this is my family,
These are my friends,
We are Singapore, Singaporeans
Singapore, our homeland
It's here that we belong
All of us united
One people marching on
We've come so far together
Our common destiny
Singapore forever
A nation strong and free


We the citizens of Singapore,
Pledge ourselves as one united people
Regardless of race,
Language or religion
To build a democratic society
Based on justice and equality
So as to achieve happiness
Prosperity and progress
For our nation
Chorus:
We are Singapore
We are Singapore
We will stand together
Hear the lion roar


We are Singapore
We are Singapore
We're a nation
Strong and free forever more
(repeat chorus twice)
This is my country,
This is my flag, this is my future
This is my life, this is my family,
These are my friends,
We are Singapore, Singaporeans

We are Singapore, Singaporeans!!!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home