The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Food Review: Teahouse at China Square

As I am starting on this food review… I had a flashback of the time when I was in secondary school. In my small little neighborhood school, most of us were just a little bit poor in our English… that's because we almost totally spoke Mandarin in school and even at home. So we have this interesting spontaneous writing class every morning. Some days we write in Chinese… some days in English. Imagine trying to think of something very interesting to write everyday… after a while you will begin every little essay the same… something like:

Last Sunday was a nice and sunny day…. yada yada yada

Now back to the real deal… last Sunday (2th October) was still a nice and sunny day.
We decided to go for dim sum for a change and went to Tung Lok's Teahouse at China Square.


*Teahouse at China Square*

Sundays in the CBD is really very peaceful… you can feel none of the usual morning rush of the office crowd; everyone is probably catching up on their sleep at home. We easily found our table in the restaurant (no waiting) despite not making any reservations. Strangely… we did not seem like we are here for some relaxed yum cha session… We were famished when we reached there and so we ransacked the first trolley that came our way… and I was full in 15mins…

*Our towkay on the left and a couple on the right!*

Stuff we ate include (I will try to recall): Prawn dumplings, Siew Mai, Char Siew buns, Crystal dumplings, Guo Tie, Prawn Cheong Fun, some steamed pork ribs, Hay Zor, You Tiao, Niang Doufu, Soy sauce chicken, some spring roll, Century egg porridge, Seafood porridge, mango pudding and Guilin Gao.

*Me with future Captain Koi*

I thought the dim sum was good but not spectacular… the usual standards you will get in Chinese restaurants. The only dish I would pick for special mention is the prawn dumplings (Ha Kau)… The prawn fillings are very fresh and the dumpings taste very sweet and Q… my 'dish of the day'. Of course if only I could get my hands on the Shark's Fin Braised With Superior Stock… that would surely make my 'dish of the day'

Of course no yum char session is complete without some gossip and lastest news is our very own GLD is attached again… I am not naming any names here! … and I realized Xiong makes a very good impersonation of a cow eating grass! I think we should go for more regular yum cha outings!!


*The boyfriend insisted on privacy and wants mosaic on their faces… to cover his yantao face! (omg)*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home