The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!

Well, this was another uneventful weekend for me… supposed to go to Bethesda to watch an American football game (they call it football here, soccer is soccer!). My supervisor didn’t call me so I guess he didn’t manage to book his condo’s party room.

Basically, I slept a lot and went walking around window-shopping. Guess what… I am looking at all that home stuff: furniture, crockery and bedding (desperately needing a comforter or at least a blanket!)

Sunday was the same… I decided to take a long walk around my neighborhood and get used to the roads and surroundings… I realized the sidewalks are really filthy, tons of rubbish and cigarette butts… no road sweepers here mind you. People here probably don’t know about it because they drive everywhere.

Still the beauty of the suburbs is still there… the clear blue unobstructed sky, a lot of trees, nice carpet grass, streams and small ponds and wild geese which shit a lot on the sidewalks (by the way, their shit looks like dog poo!).

Finally on my way back, I went to do some grocery shopping. I bought a dozen eggs and some turkey ham. The innocent looking tomatoes cost like $4/LB, and I just threw in nine, the lousy weighing balance gave like half a pound (sadly I didn’t do my conversion right… how can 9 big tomatoes weigh 200g?). I was hugely surprised when I got billed for $10 for my tomatoes! Good god, it cost more than my meals for a day!! Can you imagine paying SGD$17 to eat tomatoes? Lesson learned… now you know why they made a movie ‘Attack of the Killer Tomatoes’!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home