The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dada!

The past 2 weeks has been pretty uneventful after my trip to New York City… more work but good learning, I can never be more happy with it! Over the weekend, I hitched a ride with my roommate to D.C and finally got my D.C driver’s learner’s permit set up! I am just one step closer to owning a car… very excited!

Since I was already downtown, I decided to go take a look in the National Gallery of Art, Washington… one of the many Smithsonian museums in the Mall area. Actually, I was trying to find some cheap eats around the area! Knowing that there are cafeterias in some of these museums, I chanced upon the National Gallery of Art (nearest to the Department of Motor Vehicles where I just got my permit and nearest place away from the cold!).

Like all Smithsonian museums, the National Gallery of Art is one big museum! Inside, you can see art students sketching the various artworks into their sketchbooks with their pencils… I feel that the people here appreciate art a lot more than back home.

I was fortunate enough to catch the Dada exhibition in the museum. The artworks are not conventional, and even shocking… The first Dada artists responded to the violence and trauma of World War I in their own unique way. I find the artwork pretty grim… many paintings depict people in gas masks, with artificial limbs and stuff. I guess the main idea is to shock you to get your attention and get your mind thinking about various issues like war and politics.



L.H.O.O.Q. by Marcel Duchamp. See, that's Dada art! Posted by Picasa

Here’s a pretty neat little quote by dadaist artist, Tristan Tzara:

To make a dadaist poem

Take a newspaper.
Take a pair of scissors.
Choose an article as long as you are planning to make your poem.
Cut out
the article.
Then cut out each of the words that make up this article and
put them in a bag.
Shake it gently.
Then take out the scraps one after
another in the order in which they left the bag.
Copy conscientiously.
The poem will be like you.
And here you are a writer, infinitely
original and endowed with a sensibility that is charming though beyond the
understanding of the vulgar.

Tristan Tzara, 1920

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home