The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Monday, March 27, 2006

National Gallery of Art (22nd Mar)

Spring officially came on the 20th of March on the calendar but it didn’t get much warmer! I had to work the last weekend and got two days off on Tuesday and Wednesday (21st, 22nd March)… realized that I have not been doing much the whole of March and so decided to go downtown DC for a little walk. Spring is around the corner… as I walked out, I can already see new leaves on those bushes along my driveway!


Spring is here! Posted by Picasa

I decided to go to the National Gallery of Art again because I didn’t finish exploring the place 2 weeks ago (didn’t bring my camera along too!). As I said before… this place is huge! I spent a good afternoon looking at the numerous paintings in the West Building.

I guess I never really get to appreciate art back in Singapore… but that is probably because we never had much real art! Here in the museum, you get to see art from the 13th century Italian paintings to the 19th century French and Spanish paintings.



The National Gallery of Art, DC Posted by Picasa

One of the most famous paintings here is definitely Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo da Vinci! This painting is in fact a double-sided painting… the only work by Leonardo da Vinci here.


Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo da Vinci!! Posted by Picasa

The 13th century Italian art is quite interesting… almost all of them are paintings depicting scenes from the Christian religion like the Nativity (birth of Jesus), Madonna and Child.

There was a special exhibition featuring the art of Frans van Mieris (1635 – 1681) who was one of the most celebrated Dutch fijinschilders – “fine painters”. I really like his works where the paintings are so good that they look like photographs! Many of his works also depict scenes from common life and is filled with humorous social exchanges on love, courtship, and seduction… has to be seen to be appreciated!



One of the many galleries in the museum... i did at least 60+ of these! Posted by Picasa


Beautiful West Garden Court inside the building Posted by Picasa


One of the numerous Christian art in the museum Posted by Picasa

Finally, I took a extremely long walk (~30mins) to Georgetown, DC to take a look at DC’s supposedly most happening shopping area! I was pretty disappointed though… it’s far far far from Times Square in New York. Nevertheless, I had a rather peaceful evening sipping hot coffee while reading a magazine in Barnes & Nobles there.


Sun setting over Georgetown, DC Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home