The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Friday, April 28, 2006

The Holocaust Museum

Went to the Holocaust Museum in DC today. Prior to this, although I had heard about the Holocaust, I did not know why it happened, how it happened, and what is the extent and magnitude of this horror…

It was terrible.

Hitler and his Nazi party managed to galvanize the people of the ‘superior’ race to persecute the ‘inferior’ race, the Jews. I guess most of the people then probably believe it was wrong but everyone, everyone thought it was none of their business and so they kept quiet… they assisted this horrible murder…

These Jews had nowhere to go… the whole of Europe was taken by Germany and the rest of the world denied them asylum. Even the great United States of America decided they don’t want more Jews refugees and sent a full ship of refugees back to Germany where they perished… I wonder how is it like to live without hope… knowing the next day will be your last… knowing that your right to live is decided by another man…

Some of the people in the museum cried… I had tears in my eyes… you don’t need someone to tell you the story to feel the overwhelming sadness…



Holocaust Museum, DC Posted by Picasa

Coming out of the museum… you will come out thinking about the world and your place in the world. You think about God… you think about conscience and you think about life. It was one experience… everyone has to visit the Holocaust Museum if they ever come to DC!

The downside to the experience is that photography was not allowed in the museum. Anyway, anything less than going to the museum to experience the horror on your own will not do it justice!

Read the wikipedia’s article on The Holocaust here.


Then read about the worst of The Holocast, the gas chambers in the Nazi extermination camps.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:57 AM , Blogger coot said...

    there's an old movie regarding Jews in WWII, which i find pretty moving. Its a true story of a person called Oskar Schindler. The movie title is "Schlinder's list",n if u can, go rent the movie. It'll b worth it. :-)

     
  • At 8:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    yeah... i held back watching these shows cos I dun like to see something that will upset me... I know it will be everything I think it will be... or even worse!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home