The Egg Has Dropped

A diary of my life, my travels to various places and my many interests.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Road Trip - Niagara Falls (30th Jun - 4th July)

Had one hell of a road trip earlier this month to Niagara! One of my uni friends, Meiyan came to stay with another uni friend, Yingying who is in New York for the summer. So the 3 of us got together for a weekend trip to the Niagara Falls.

I drove up from Maryland to New York to meet up with the 2 girls on Friday (30th Jun) and then we set off early Saturday morning (which is 1am) for what turned out to be a 9 hours drive to Niagara Falls…

The drive was really interesting… you get to see the scenery change from the urban skyscrapers of New York, to the misty hill roads of Pennsylvania, to the foggy lakeside of the Finger Lakes and the vast farmlands of Buffalo… I never really felt tired throughout the whole drive… this is really one totally new experience… America is such a beautiful country…

We finally got to Niagara Falls at about 10am and quickly checked into our hostel… I had to take a quick nap before we can go about our exploration of Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls is like what it is said to be… it was an awesome sight… We got to visit the Cave of the Winds where we actually got down and real close to the American Falls! We also explored the sights in Goat Island and saw the American Falls and the Canadian Horseshoe Falls in different angles. Of course THE attraction at Niagara Falls is taking the ferry, Maid of the Mist, which took us real close (I mean really CLOSE!) to both waterfalls… where you really get to feel the power of the Falls!! We were so lucky that 1st July is Canada Day and we got to see fireworks over the Falls at night… really quite an amazing feeling to be there to experience everything…


Cave of the Winds
Cave of the Winds (Niagara Falls, USA)

Horseshoe Falls
Horseshoe Falls from Terrapin Point, Goat Island (Niagara Falls, USA)

The next day (2nd July), we walked across the Rainbow Bridge to Canada where we had a nice breakfast by the Niagara Falls. We missed the Journey Behind the Falls because of the long queues (we had to get back by noon). The view of the Falls from the Canadian side is definitely much better. I would say you get to feel the power of the Falls on the American side but you get to see the Falls properly on the Canadian side.

American Falls
American Falls (Niagara Falls, Canada)

American Falls Up Close!
American Falls up close from Maid of the Mist! (taken on the first day)

Maid of the Mist into the Horseshoe Falls!
Maid of the Mist going into the Horseshoe Falls (Niagara Falls, Canada)

We drove back to New York at noon and I stayed a further 2 days there, crashing in YY’s place so I can get to see the fireworks in New York on the 4th July Independence Day before leaving at night so that I can get to work the next day!

One interesting thing I did in New York on 4th July, I went to Little Italy to try to catch the World Cup semi-final between Italy and Germany! The place was packed, packed, packed!!! And I can assure you that Italians are defintely very passionate people! If only I have came earlier and grabbed a nice spot before the match!


Little Italy, New York on a World Cup Semi Day!
Italia Italia! (Little Italy, New York)

Overall, I traveled across 4 states (Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York) and set foot on Canada, drove more than a thousand miles, with about 28 hours on the road… I must say this is one hell of a road trip… I got to do this again!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM , Blogger coot said...

    great pics, great adventure, my kind of road trip! makes me just want to fly over there now to experience what you did

     
  • At 2:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hell of a good or bad time? Keke.

    Colourful trip..see e real colours of ppl and scenes yeah.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home